Campaign Analysis is a broad discipline that interfaces with diverse fields to deliver advanced capabilities and enable informed military operations. Campaign analyses can cover different combinations of the following dimensions:
- Long Timelines: Spanning days to months, beyond mission analyses (which seldom exceed 3 days). Campaign analyses investigate the ability of a faction to produce effects and accomplish military objectives over long time periods.
- Large Geographical Areas: Operations are analyzed across large areas/regions, which, at a minimum, include entire countries or multiple subdivisions within a country (e.g., provinces) and corresponding territorial waters.
- Heterogeneous Assets: Analyses consider many heterogeneous assets (e.g., satellites, aircraft, ships, submarines, tanks, battalions) teaming to support mission/campaign objectives.
- Heterogeneous Missions: Analyses include many heterogeneous missions to cause diverse effects across space and time.
- Parallel and Sequential Missions: Analyses include interrelated, simultaneous and/or sequential missions, where outcomes of one mission affects concurrent missions and subsequent planning.
- Multiple Factions: Analyses include multiple factions. A campaign is analyzed as a competition between two or more factions, often sovereign nation states. Additionally, multiple factions may be collaborating in a campaign.
The analytical methods applied to campaign analysis are even broader than the subject; though two often dominate discussions: wargaming and constructive simulation. The CA CoP welcomes all campaign analysis methods.
Established: Spring 2020
The CA CoP will hold regular meetings that are a mix between informational presentations and collaborative workshops, emphasizing on the latter, to produce valuable products. This CoP aims to:
- Preserve lessons learned from past generations of CA
- Baseline the current state of the discipline
- Offer education on campaign analysis
- Identify the challenges faced by the community
Advance the state-of-the-art by collectively addressing these challenges