2-5 April 2019
Marine Base Quantico
Gray Research Center
2040 Broadway St.
Quantico, VA 22134
The Urban Warfare meeting is being conducted to assess what has occurred in the domain of urban warfare, specifically to determine resulting upshots, and to make recommendations on future analyses and other actions to improve the nation’s capabilities to prevail in this domain of warfare.Areas the meeting will address are:renewed emphasis and doctrine that has been placed on the topic in recent years by the Department of Defense; the implications of an ever-increasing concentration of the world’s population in urban areas; the demonstrated propensity for terrorists and other adversaries to leverage complex urban terrain in attempting to counteract the warfighting and technological superiority of U.S. and allied forces; and the fundamental changes in the nature of urban combat brought about by technology, fanaticism, and other factors.
The objectives of the Workshop are:
- Assess the current state of affairs in Urban Warfare and associated analysis
- Identify and review pertinent analyses that have occurred since 2001 and make recommendations for promulgation and further analysis
- Review existing doctrine and changes that are underway with an eye toward leveraging analysis to assist
- Understand the Evolution of Urban Warfare TTP’s, both friendly and enemy, with respect to ISR, support and sustainability, force application, and other pertinent disciplines, and how analysis may be applied in those areas
- Understand the evolution of training for Urban Warfare and its efficacy in preparing combatants to participate in it; identify areas for analysis to help improve both the quantity and quality of training for Urban Warfare
- Identify any other areas of Urban Warfare to which analysis could be beneficially applied