The Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) Command, Controls, Communications and Cyber Business Systems (C3CB) will host a Military Operations Research Society (MORS) workshop in October 2018 in the National Capital Region focused on cyberspace wargaming and analytics. The primary objective of the workshop is to collaborate on data, models and wargaming best practices plus lessons for current cyberspace wargames and operations. This includes describing the current state, clarifying gaps and developing solutions for cyberspace operations data, models and wargaming.
We’ve now experienced over 10 years of cyberspace operations where adversaries have been writing the rules of the game for cyberspace and combined cyber-kinetic operations. The purpose of this workshop is to share and record the knowledge gained from the community’s recent experience in developing cyber assessments and wargames. In addition, we will also look at both analytic tools for operations support and techniques for project, program, and portfolio management in the Department of Defense (DoD). Attendees will gain a valuable understanding of the tools, skills, and knowledge required and assist in developing the way ahead for cyber wargaming. Some of the discussion topics will be:
1. Do current data taxonomies support the needs of operational through programmatic decision makers?
2. Methods used to generate metrics and their usefulness to operational and programmatic decision makers.
3. Metrics collection techniques and data validation.
4. Operational and tactical cyberspace assessments to support the military decision making process.
5. Unique indicators in cyberspace and how best to correlate with specific, desired effects.
6. Examples of effective and efficient metrics and how best to present to decision makers.