Call for Editor: Phalanx, The Magazine of National Security Analysis
The Military Operations Research Society (MORS) actively seeks interested candidates for the role of Editor of the Phalanx Magazine. Applications are due by 1 December 2023.
Phalanx is a professional magazine of the society, presenting a cross-section of important current research, meetings reports, MORS news, and informative oral histories. The Phalanx Editor is the primary point of contact between the magazine and the membership, most especially those members who are interested in writing and publishing. The scope of articles and diversity of submitters to the Phalanx are broad, ranging from junior analysts to senior military leaders with a range of publishing experience.
- Technical articles describing research applicable to or conducted by society members
- Non-technical articles relevant to the aims of the society
- News and feature articles highlighting society events and initiatives
- Book reviews
- Recognition and professional updates of society members
The Phalanx Editor is a volunteer position and drives the production of four issues per year. This position includes a significant commitment of time to ensure a high-quality publication. The Editor must be able to engage personally with each potential author and work with them to improve their submissions. The Editor must be an active member of the society to represent the Phalanx and solicit submissions. The Editor must be able to attend Board meetings, sit on relevant committees (Publications and Membership) and participate in planning sessions for events if necessary.
Desired characteristics include:
- Active member of the society with a history of engagement
- Demonstrates understanding of the society’s programs and activities
- Ability to assemble and work with a team of society staff and volunteers, including Associate Editors
- Positive working relationship and ability to regularly interface with the Board of Directors, Publications Committee, and society staff
- A solid understanding of the society’s relationship with Sponsors and Partners.
- A good sense of the current state of the Operations Research profession, including recent trends, uses of OR in national security, and familiarity with development of OR professionals.
The successful candidate will:
- Discuss their views of the Phalanx and its role in the society
- Describe their plan to assess and propose a long-term strategy for the Phalanx
- Describe their experience with managing and contributing to professional publications
- Summarize their history and engagement within the society
- Collaborate with the outgoing editor on the Spring 2024 issue and fully assume the Editorial role on or about April 2024.
Applications should include a current CV and letter outlining experience and ability to perform the role, as described in the above criteria. Address all letters to the MORS Board of Directors and submit applications to Ms. Tina Yan at firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 December.