(Updated 7 October 2014)
Purpose: The purpose of the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Working Group is to promote the exchange of analytical techniques, permit the peer review of methods and results, and provide a means for continued growth of military operations research and related disciplines as applied to ISR analysis across the spectrum of peace, crisis, Stability and Support Operations (SASO), and Major Combat Operations (MCO).
Discussion: Traditionally, Operations Research has considered the use of quantitative mathematical and statistical methods in such areas as collection management, Processing, Exploitation, and Dissemination (PED) analysis, automated exploitation aids, etc. However, historically Operations Research has also included the organized use of multidisciplinary teams combining less mathematical areas such as psychology, political science, cultural specialists, etc., to solve hard problems, including those in the intelligence arena.
The ISR Working Group seeks to provide a forum for intelligence analysts to present their work across all disciplines (GEOINT, SIGINT, MASINT, HUMINT, etc.). The work may be focused on optimizing ISR assets, providing actionable intelligence to commanders and decision makers, or the use of Operations Research techniques in support of ISR planning or execution. In addition, the ISR Working Group also seeks to provide a forum for information sharing within the ISR community. This includes information on ISR system’s algorithms, data structures, and fusion capabilities in order to improve the knowledge base on which analysts perform assessments. The goal of the working group is to provide information to improve and grow ISR analysis to best support the community in current and future operations.
Other Working Groups: Candidates for joint discussions with WG 7 include:
· WG 1 Strategic National Security Analysis
· WG 2 Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Advanced Explosives (CBRNE) Defense
· WG 4 Homeland Security, Homeland Defense and Civil Support
· WG 5 Information and Cyber Operations
· WG 6 Battle Management Command and Control (BMC2)
· WG 9 Air and Missile Defense
· WG 10 Joint Campaign Analysis
· WG 11 Land and Expeditionary Warfare
· WG 12 Maritime Operations
· WG 13 Power Projection and Strike
· WG 14 Air Warfare
· WG 31 Operational Environments
· WG 32 Special Operations and Irregular Warfare